Monday, August 29, 2016

Art Jewelry Elements Art Headpins Challenge

I follow the Art Jewelry Elements Blog 
and when they created an art headpin challenge, I knew that I wanted to join. I have never made headpins before, so I needed to do some research before I started. A lot of headpins are made from glass and are quite beautiful. Since I work with polymer clay, I wanted to make headpins from clay. I make many different types of beads and enjoy making them all. I started off with some copper wire and decided on about a 3 inch length to use for wrapping and adding other beads. I started off with about 3 1/2 inches of wire and make a loop in one end and then firmly inserted it into the clay bead that I had formed. I then shaped the bead, making sure that I closed the clay around the wire. I tried some different shapes, but ended up with the dagger style shape that I really liked. Here is the result:



Here is a closer look at one of the pairs:


I think that this is my favorite pair:

I want to thank the Art Jewelry Element Team for all their great posts!
Now please take a look at all the other creations here

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Your head pins are fabulous! So glad you joined the challenge.

Deb Fortin said...

lovely work and interesting caning esp in the kaleidoscope pair. those are my faves. reminds me of parasails over the ocean.
I'm not much into pink unless it's paired with orange so I like your pastel swirly ones in the first photo.

Karin G said...

Beautiful headpins, so colorful!

Laney said...

First pair...gorgeous!!!

Saraccino said...

The colours and pattern just made me smile! Love them! :)

Cathy Spivey Mendola said...

I love the color saturation of these headpins. They are all so yummy & fun!

Caroline said...

Fabulous work, I love your colours!

Alison Adorns said...

Very nice! I love when people try new things and it works out. My favorite is also the pink pair.

Jenny said...

Such color! So much fun! I like the dagger shape quite a bit. Glad you could join us!

Tammy Adams said...

Lots of great colors and fun patterns in your headpins. Nicely done.

Lindsay said...

Fantastic! I like the last pair - it reminds me of a dragonfly! Thank you for playing along with us this month!

Jennifer Cameron said...

I really love the colors and patterns you made with the polymer clay! Gorgeous headpins, great job with the challenge. You nailed it! Thanks for participating and for reading AJE!

Bijoux Gems Joy said...

What lovely headpins you made. I think my favourite are the deep blue and gold ones on the far right. All of them are inspirational though.
Mona

Niky Sayers said...

What wonderful headpins you created and such happy summery colours!

baymoondesign said...

Your headpins are all wonderful. Well done!

Empty nester at last said...

Wow how gorgeous! I love them all, very reminiscent of the 60's! Great job!

Leona said...

I love what you have done with the colours of your headpins - they do compliment the simple dagger design.

Lesley said...

What a lovely vibrant collection!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pins.

SueBeads said...

Patricia, awesome that you created your own headpins! I'm glad you played along!

Unknown said...

Do you sell these?

thecolorofdreams said...

Scarlett,
Yes, these will be listed in my etsy shop at the end of September

lamplight crafts said...

The pink/blue pair are my favorite too! They remind me of lampwork beads.